2020 VA Special Monthly Compensation Rates
The Veterans Administration (VA) special monthly compensation (SMC) is a higher rate of compensation that the VA pays to Veterans as well as their spouses, surviving spouses, and parents with certain needs or disabilities.
How the VA Assigns SMC Levels
The VA assigns SMC levels based on very specific situations and combinations of situations, including:
- The amputation of one or more limbs or extremities
- The loss of use of one or more limbs or extremities (meaning you have no effective function remaining)
- The physical loss of one or both eyes
- The loss of sight or total blindness in one or both eyes
- Being permanently bedridden (unable to get out of bed)
- Needing daily help with basic needs (like eating, dressing and bathing), also called “Aid and Attendance”
How Do I Prepare Before Starting My Application?
- Find out if you’re eligible for VA disability compensation
- Gather any evidence (supporting documents) you’ll submit when you file your VA disability claim.
- Be sure your claim is filled out completely and you have all the supporting documents ready to send in along with your claim. This will help the VA process your claim quickly.
- Learn about fully developed claims
- Find out if you’ll need to turn in any additional forms with your claim
Click to learn more about how the VA assigns certain SMC levels.
Why We Do What We Do
Special monthly compensation benefits are so important to our injured Veterans. At Jan Dils, Attorneys at Law, we have represented countless clients for more than 25 years. As you click through the links we’ve provided from VA’s official site, you will see “levels” included, but not limited to, SMC-K, SMC-L, SMC-0 – and the list goes on. The point is, navigating your SMC benefits can be very complex. We are experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate. And your first consultation is always free. Please do not hesitate to contact the Jan Dils team at Fight4Vets.com or call 877.526.3455. Or you can simply fill out this form and we will contact you shortly.