Discharges and Your VA Disability/Pension Claim

When applying for VA Disability Compensation and/or Pension Benefits, the characteristic type of discharge may play a huge factor in deciding whether or not you are eligible for benefits.  There are five different types of discharges that you may receive, which are as follows; Honorable, General, Other than Honorable, Bad Conduct (BCD), and Dishonorable. If you receive an Honorable, General, or a Discharge Under Honorable Conditions, you would be eligible to receive any type of benefit.

To be able to receive an “Honorable Discharge,” a service member must have received a rating from very good to excellent from their time of service. You are eligible to receive a “General Discharge” when you get separated from the service, under honorable conditions, and your performance is satisfactory. If you receive an “Other Than Honorable” discharge, it was either for misconduct or security reasons. When receiving a “Bad Conduct Discharge” you are normally separated from the service under conditions other than honorable. This is approved by a sentence of a special court-martial. Lastly, if you receive a dishonorable separation as part of a punishment then you will receive a Dishonorable Discharge.

If you do not agree with your discharge, you are able to fill out a DD Form 293, Application for the Review of Discharge From the Armed Forces of the United States. When becoming a new client at Jan Dils Attorneys at Law, one of the first questions that we ask is what type of discharge do you have? We are able to answer any types of questions that you may have and we will let you know if we believe you are eligible for VA Disability Compensation and/or Pension. If you are looking for legal representation for your VA Disability Benefits, you have come to the right place. We have several experienced people who have the knowledge and ability to help you with your VA Disability Claims. Feel free to give us a call at at 1-877-526-3457.

Fight 4 Vets