Am I Eligible for Aid and Attendance or Housebound Benefits?

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits to eligible veterans and surviving dependents of deceased veterans. These disability benefits and housebound allowances are monthly payments added to a veteran’s pension, otherwise known as an “enhanced pension.”

These pensions provide financial assistance to help cover the costs of care for veterans with limited ability to leave their homes. Whether you’re a veteran or a vet’s surviving loved one, it’s essential to be aware of these opportunities so you can get the support you need.

Eligibility Requirements for VA Aid and Attendance

VA Aid and Attendance is available to veterans and surviving dependents who receive a VA pension and meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • Need assistance to perform daily activities, such as getting dressed, bathing, and eating
  • Are bedridden or spend most of the day in bed due to an illness
  • Currently reside in a nursing home due to a loss in mental or physical abilities related to a disability
  • Have limited eyesight is (i.e., wear contact lenses or glasses, have only 5/200 vision or less in both eyes, or have concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less)

Housebound Benefits

To be eligible for Housebound benefits, you must already receive a VA pension and spend a majority of your time at home due to a permanent disability. Eligibility requirements for Housebound benefits include:

  • One permanent disability rated at 100% and proof of permanent confinement to your home; or
  • One permanent disability rated at 100% and another or multiple disabilities rated at 60% or above.

It’s important to note that you cannot receive both Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits at the same time.

Ask an Attorney about Your Eligibility for VA Aid and Attendance or Housebound Benefits

If you believe that you or a loved one may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits, you can apply in person or by submitting forms to your local pension management center. After submitting, you may have your doctor fill out examination information or retrieve an additional doctor’s report to prove that you need these benefits.

It is possible to be eligible for both enhanced pensions. To find out which one may be best for your needs, you can calculate your potential benefits with our Disability Calculator. It is advisable to contact an attorney before deciding whether Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits are right for you. Contact our firm for more insight on whether you might qualify for VA benefits.

Fight 4 Vets